- Family Enrichment Series: families are invited to Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age, a nationally acclaimed documentary about kids and screen time. The film follows parents and their teens as they struggle to strike a balance between time spent on video games, social media, academics and internet addiction. Screenagers will be shown at Paden School, this Thursday, February 7, 7:00-8:30 pm. Here’s the flier, or register here (space is limited).
- Parent University is for middle school parents and guardians. Your adolescent is growing up in this digital age, and our parenting style has to adjust and calibrate. Tweens/Teens need our support to navigate their social- emotional life in middle school AND also have the critical academic conversations for their future. View our general program outline. Join us at our Spring session, February 13, 6:00-8:30 pm at Lincoln Middle School. Register here.
Join us for Coffee with Cammie, Friday, February 1st, 8:30 am in the Media Center. This is a great opportunity to talk with and hear insight from our wonderful Principal, Cammie Harris.
Meet other parents and guardians, and find out more about our school programs while enjoying a cup of coffee or tea!
Wood PTA hosts a Coffee with Cammie most months; check the PTA calendar for details. We hope to see you there!
The City of Alameda invites you to participate in a workshop to discuss community concerns related to speeding and safety while walking, bicycling and driving on Otis Drive between Westline Drive and Willow Street. We also will be discussing ideas for safety improvements and traffic calming.
WHAT: Workshop to discuss speeding and safety concerns on Otis Drive
WHERE: Wood Middle School multi-purpose room, 420 Grand Street
WHEN: Thursday, January 31, 6:30 pm
The goals of the workshop include discussing:
· Areas where people on foot, riding a bicycle or in vehicles may feel unsafe, and identifying the reasons;
· Areas where there are conflicts between people on foot, bicycles and in vehicles;
· Options that could promote walking, riding the bus or bicycling, such as bike lanes or improved bus stops;
· Options to reduce impacts of flooding/sea level rise; and
· Options to improve streetscape, such as gateway treatments and landscaping.
We invite you to participate in the January 31 workshop and to sign up for email updates by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions or want to express what you would like to see addressed in the Otis Drive initiative, please contact Gail Payne at 510-747-6892 or email@example.com.
Read more about this issue here.
For an overview of the City’s Transportation Choices Plan, click here.
Are you the best speller at Wood? Sign up today for the 2nd Annual Spelling Bee!
All 5th-8th graders are invited to participate. Students compete within their grade-level.
All registered students will be entered into raffle for chance to win gift cards for local restaurants & stores!
Participants take preliminary written test on January 30:
5th grade — in class
6-8 grades — 9 am or 3:15 pm in the Media Center
Top 10 spellers from each grade compete in Final Spelling Bee
on February 6, 6:00 pm, in MPR.
Applications must be submitted to the office by January 25 – application form here.
Study Word Lists available in office or at these links
Let’s get ready to spell, Wood Beavers!!
We’re excited to announce that Cycles of Change is bringing their “Drive Your Bike” safety training program back to Wood!
6th-8th grade students will participate during their PE class over the next few weeks, as follows:
Session 1 – Mr. Radecke’s classes – 1/22 – 1/28
Session 2 – Mr. Redmond’s classes – 1/29 – 2/4
Classes include helmet fitting, bike check, bike skills practice, intersection practice and more. There will be a community ride on city streets on the last day of each session.
Students are encouraged to bring their own helmets and bikes if possible; Cycles of Change will bring helmets and bikes for anyone who doesn’t have them. Everyone gets to ride!
Adult volunteers are needed for the Community Rides, Jan 28, Feb 4, Feb 11 or 12 – sign up here.
PLEASE NOTE: Community Ride dates may change, depending on weather conditions.